Monday, 5 October 2026

What We Can Know - Ian McEwan

 


I feel like I should write about this book, which I've read more than a year ago, as my parents appear to misremember my impression (they seem to think that I liked it a lot, when in reality my reaction was more muted) and my colleagues are now passing it among themselves. 

While the book does have a number of interesting takes (chief among all a dystopian future that feels rather realistic, in which humans have learned to adapt to changes and a number of technological developments of the late 20th/early 21st century have disappeared) it essentially deals with something (the construction and reconstruction of (hi)stories) that I unfortunately already have to deal with on a dialy basis as part of my job. 

So, while on the one hand I can see it making a very compelling read for many, for me it's just not quite interesting or novel enough. I know for a fact that, as a historian, most of my guess about the past are wrong. I don't need McEwan to further validate that for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment