Monday, 5 October 2026

Hamnet - Maggie O'Farrell

 


Raise your hand up if you've heard of this book, or watched the movie. Yup, I thought so...


For me the pros are that Hamnet will have something for everyone - the Shakespeare lovers, those interested in family relations, those who want to explore how people elaborate loss, and those who want to be transported to the past qutie effortlessly (O' Farrell is a really remarkable writer). It will also appeal to those who like to smugly say "Nope, that's not a true account of the creation of Hamlet" (as if that was ever the point). 


Yet, for me the book does have one huge con: I couldn't help but feel that it exploited the suffering and grieving of a family, and I'm not quite sure how (or if) that could be addressed - after all, it's most likely better to talk about this kind of loss (even if it is in part to sell copies of a book) than not talk about it all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment