Monday, 5 October 2026

The Confidential Agent - Graham Greene

 


A book that I found, alongside many that I'm currently reading, on Olio, the (mostly) food-sharing app. A local guy was trying to donate the books of his step-father, and I grabbed a few, though I wish the limit wasn't just 10 at a time as I would have most likely taken the whole lot!

The decisioni to pick this one up was partly determined by my passion for Greene, partly by the fact that I loved the old Penguin edition, partly by the assumption that it would have a kind of Third Man feeling. And I was unsurprisingly correct about the last assumption. 


The Confidential Agent is beautiful yet heartbreaking (regardless of whether you know the history of the Spanish Civil War or not, or even whether you associate this book with that particular conflict and not another unnamed one, you know from the start that the protagonist's cause is ultimately hopeless). Still, it is both compelling and, for want of a better term, inspirational to see someone fight for a lost - if morally irreprehebsible - cause. 


The environment the characters move in also reminded me of Simenon, though the one thing I could have done without (as I felt it was a move aimed at a movie adaptation, as the book ended up having) was the romantic love story on the fringes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment