Monday, 28 September 2026

In the Beauty of the Lilies - John Updike

 


One of those books that had been sitting of a shelf in LSE's Shaw Library (a place where nobody goes except for taking a nap, clearly) untouched for a good 20 years until I decided to grab it. 


Having only read a couple of books by Updike, but having really enjoyed them both, I didn't hesitate to borrow this book once I saw it (also because I do love epic family histories). 


All the four sections as masterfully written (you don't say...), but not all of them are easy to approach. The initial one, frankly, was a bit of a slog. While the topic was really interesting (the loss of faith, and subsequent loss of income, of a reverend) I was finding myself lost in the depth of the theological discussions that were being presented. The second section then picked up considerably, with the story of a man who just wanted to live a serene life, followed by a third that kept my attention because of the many Hollywood references and a fourth one that felt so contemporary it could have actually been written by Jonathan Franzen. All in all, a great book that made me think also of Paul Auster's 4 3 2 1 and John Williams's Stoner

No comments:

Post a Comment