Sunday 11 February 2024

Anxious People - Frederik Backman

 


This is the second Scandinavian humorous novel revolving around suicide and loneliness that I've read. 

I'm willing to believe that the theme can be given a humorous twist, but I'm not willing to concede that this particular novel is funny (or maybe I just don't get Scandinavian pseudo-dark humour), or deep (it is the sort of novel that might satisfy an urge for people who want to feel that "life is beautiful after all" and watch the Netflix series afterwards). 

Even in this case, the long series of very short chapters might work for the busy people who read a book in 5-minute instalments while sipping on a flat-white, but not for snobs who consider themselves semi-serious readers (like me...). 

Also, my mom doesn't quite hit all her book recommendations. In particular when she starts them with "I haven't read it, but the critics are saying...". Don't trust the critics!

No comments:

Post a Comment